Turkey breast is lean meat, and we’re giving it a savory flavor boost with double cream, cognac, prunes and apples.
- 2.2 lb turkey breast
- 2 tsp salt
- 2.5 cups double cream
- 7 tbsp cognac
- 10 prunes
- 30 pickled onions
- 3 apples Granny Smith
- white pepper to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- Start by dry brining the turkey with 1 tsp salt/kg of meat, and put it back in the fridge for a few hours, or preferrably overnight.
- Fire up the grill, prepare it for indirect heat. Aim for 265° F. When the grill is up to temp, add 2-3 hickory wood chunks for smoke flavor.
- Place the turkey on the grill grates and smoke it for 30-45 minutes. It's done when the internal temp is 55° C / 131 °F.
- Bring the turkey indoors and slice in 0.5" thick slices across.
- Heat up a frying pan and add the cognac, chopped prunes and pickled onions. Let it simmer for a few minutes to get rid of the alcohol, it adds a sharpness that we want to get rid of.
- Peel and chop the apples roughly in 1" bits/cubes.
- Add the turkey to the pan, pour the cream over, and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Now add the apples and let it simmer for a few more minutes.
- Add 1 tsp salt, the sugar and white pepper to taste. Serve with a bowl of rice.