Elotes, or grilled Mexican street corn, is fast to cook on the grill and just about the best thing you can do with corn. Here’s how to make it on the grill.
- 4 ears corn (with the husk still on)
- 4 tbsp creme fraiche
- 4 tbsp mayonnaisse
- 3.5 oz feta cheese
- 0,5 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 2 lime (for serving)
- 1 bunch cilantro (for serving)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- Start by firing up the grill, preparing it for indirect heat. Aim for 150-160° C / 300-320° F.
- Place the corn on the grates when the grill is up to temp. Make sure you place it on the indirect side, and close the lid. Leave it like this for 20 minutes. By cooking it with the husk still on we steam it to maximize moisture.
- In the meantime: mix all the other ingredients (except for the lime and cilantro) in a bowl. Crumble the feta well and stir with a spoon.
- When the corn is done, pull them off the grill and pull back the husk so it can be used as a handle. Don't pull it clean off, leave it attached to the base.
- Now grill the corn over high direct heat for 1-2 minutes, giving them some color and developing that nutty flavor.
- Now brush the sauce on, and sprinkle some cilantro over. Serve directly with a wedge of lime.