This is a really zesty sauce or glaze. I usually serve it with duck breast, either fried or grilled.
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp chicken stock
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 0.5 cups red wine
- 2 oranges
- corn starch (for thickening)
- Put the sugar and water in a pan. Heat it up so it caramelizes (the sugar dissolves completely), but it must not go brown.
- Add the red wine vinegar. Bring it to a boil.
- Add the juice from two oranges, along with the zest. As always, make sure you don’t get the white parts of the orange skin in there, it is very bitter, and will ruin the sauce.
- Let it simmer for 3-5 minutes. Pour everything through a sifter, to get rid of the pulp.
- Put the sauce back in the pan, add the red wine, and let it simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- Add some corn starch to thicken it a bit.