Here’s a pork version of a classic fatty. I use ground salsiccia, stuff it with cheese and wrap it in bacon.
- 1.8 lb ground salsiccia
- 1 pkg bacon (8-9 streaks)
- 5 oz grated cheese
- 10 pickled pepperonchini
- 3 tbsp Hank's KC Royale Rub
- Start by laying out half the salsiccia on a flat surface that’s been covered with saran wrap. Flatten it to a rectangle, roughly 3/8″ thick.
- Chop the pepperonchini and spread it evenly on the salsiccia layer. Then sprinkle the cheese evenly all over. Now add half the rub, distributed evenly.
- Now form a flat layer of the second half of the salsciccia and place it on top of the cheese.
- Begin to roll it up using the saran wrap. Use it like you use a sushi mat, if that helps.
- Once you have it fully rolled up, wrap it in 8-9 streaks of bacon. Make sure you pick it up gently with both hands, as it is easy to break in two before cooked. Add the other half of the rub on top of the fatty.
- Fire up your grill, prepare it for indirect grilling. Have it running at 130°C / 265° F. Add some wood chunks for smoking if you like. Place the fatty on the grate, and stick the thermometer probe in the thickest part. Cook it until the internal temperature is 65° C / 150 °F. Remove it and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.