Smoked beans! With bacon! It doesn’t get much better than this. Here’s a real tasty side dish that complements most meats.
- 2 cans baked beans (16 oz)
- 5 oz bacon
- 6 tbsp bbq sauce
- 1 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp molasses/dark syrup
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 Vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 0.5 tsp salt
- Start by frying the bacon in a cast iron pan on medium heat. Once it is properly fried, pick it up, chop it finely and put aside.
- Now add the chopped onion and let it fry on medium heat for a few minutes. Just let it sweat a little so it gets translucent, no need to char it.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients, including the bacon and stir well.
- Place the cast iron pan with the beans on your grill/smoker using indirect heat, have it running at 120° C / 250° F for approximately 2 hours.
- Remember to stir every 30 minutes so the smoke flavor penetrates all the beans.