Here’s a tasty dish were we combine chargrilled butternut with salty, tangy and sweet. A perfect sharing platter. If you’re curious about Caveman grilling then’s here’s some more info.
Servings 4 people
- 3.3 lbs Butternut pumpkin
- 5 oz feta cheese
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp sumac
- 2 oz peeled pistachio nuts
- Fire up the grill, prepare it for indirect heat. Have it running at 150-180° C / 300-350° F. This is what I call 'medium' heat.
- When the grill is up to temp, simply place the butternut on the glowing embers and close the lid.
- Rotate the pumpkin by one third when 15 minutes have passed. Do this again after another 15 minutes, and when it's been on for a total of 45 minutes (two rotations), it's done. The reason to cook it on three 'sides' instead of just two is to cook it more evenly.
- Bring the pumpkin inside and slice it lengthwise. Now you can either slice across in thick slices (1-1.5"), like you slice bread, or cut it into large cubes.
- Sprinkle an even layer of sumac on the pumpkin meat, followed by crumbled feta cheese and roughly chopped pistachios, and finally drizzle the maple syrup over it.