Skrei, which is a delicate type of Cod, is very well suited to caveman grilling by wrapping in a flavorful package. Here’s how.
- 5 oz Skrei or Cod
- 1 oz Blue cheese
- 3 sundried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fennel (optional)
- 1 butcher's paper, 12×12 inches
- 15 inches butcher's twine
- spraybottle with water
- Place the fish on the paper, dead center. Add the chopped tomatoes on top, and place thin (2/8”) slices of blue cheese on top of the tomatoes. Add some finely chopped fennel (use the thinner fennel stems on a fennel).
- Fold each side in to create a little package. Use some butcher’s twine to tie it together. Spray the hole package on all sides with water, make sure you spray the bottom too.
- Light the grill with half a chimney of good quality charcoal. When it's lit, pour the charcoal into the grill.
- When you have nice glowing embers it’s time to add the fish. Place it right in the bed of charcoal and put the lid back on, but make sure all vents are fully open.
- Check after 10 minutes, pick the package up gently with a pair of tongs and give it another spray of water. Add back and wait another 5 minutes. Now it’s time to check temps. The fish is done when the internal temp is 50 °C / 122° F. It usually takes 15-20 minutes. Remove the fish when it’s done and place the package directly on the plate for your guests to unwrap.
- Serve with creamy mashed potatoes.