To confit means to slowly simmer food submerged in fat. In this case, duck fat, for its wonderful flavor. Here’s how to cook potatoes with amazing flavor!
- 14 oz delikatessen potatoes
- 10 oz duck fat
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- Use a pan with 3 inch walls roughly. Any oven pan will do, just make sure you can place the potatoes in it, covered in fat, with good margin.
- Add the potatoes and cover them with the duck fat. Add a sprig of rosemary and cut the garlic cloves in half and add them to the duck fat.
- Now fire up your grill or smoker, and have it running at 120-130° C / 250-265° F. If you're using the indoors oven, set it to the same temp.
- Place the pan in the grill/smoker/oven, and let it sit there for two hours. If using a grill/smoker, maintain that same steady temp all the way.
- When it's done, pour the duck fat in a container, it can be reused, and place the potatoes in a bowl. Sprinkle some sea salt on them, and serve. They can be served as a side dish, or as a starter. A cold beer is a great match!