Delizie, or filled pasta rolls, are such an Italian treat. It’s great for when you want to serve a big dinner party.
- 10 oz fresh pasta sheets (the same you use for lasagna)
- 1 zucchini (1 – approx 12 oz)
- 7 oz Gryuere cheese, grated
- 7 oz Parmesan cheese, grated
- 7 oz Prosciutto ham
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1.1 lb strained tomatoes (1 can)
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 0,5 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch thyme
- 1 oz butter
- 3.5 tbsp wheat flour
- 1.3 cups cooking cream
- 7 tbsp milk
- This recipe (for 4 people) makes 36 rolls/stubs. Try to find a pan where they will just fit, effectively supporting each other 'standing up'.
- Turn on the oven, set it to 225° C / 440° F.
- Start by chopping the onion finely and fry it in oil in a sauce pan on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Now add the crushed garlic cloves and let it cook for another 5 minutes.
- Now add the strained tomatoes, salt and thyme an let it simmer for 10 minutes, with the lid off.
- Melt the butter in a pan. Now add the flour and whisk so it blends well.
- Add the cream and milk and bring it to a boil, while whisking. Once the sauce thickens, remove it from the stove.
- Slice the zucchini in thin slices, lengthwise, using a mandolin.
- Place all the pasta sheets flat on your kitchen counter or on a cutting board. Cover them with one (1) layer of zucchini and prosciutto ham.
- Sprinkle all the Gryuere cheese, and almost all the Parmesan cheese evenly over all of them. Save some Parmesan for the very end.
- Pour half the tomato sauce in the oven pan.
- Roll up all the pasta sheets and cut them in 3 pieces with a sharp knife. Place the pasta rolls standing up in the oven pan.
- Now add the rest of the tomato sauce evenly over the pasta rolls. Then do the same with the bechamel sauce. Finally sprinkle the leftover Parmesan cheese on top and place it in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Server with fresh basil and a tasty sallad.