Making your own Granola is easy and fun. It tastes great and is fresh and affordable. Here’s how!
- 2.1 cups oats
- 2.1 cups spelled flakes
- 6.8 tbsp oat bran
- 6.8 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 6.8 fl.oz sunflower seeds
- 6.8 fl.oz hazelnuts (whole)
- 6.8 tbsp roughly chopped walnuts
- 6.8 tbsp roughly chopped almonds
- 6.8 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp canola oil or peanut oil
- 1.1 cups water
- Set the oven to 200° C / 400° F.
- Roughly chop the walnuts and almonds.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and stir a few times to mix the ingredients.
- Add all wet ingredients to a pan and whisk well to mix all ingredients.
- Now add the wet mix to the dry ingredients, in batches of three. The dry ingredients are very dry, so add just a bit, and stir well in between each so all ingredients get soaked.
- Spread the granola evenly on an oven pan. Don't fiddle with it too much, this avoids 'packing' the ingredients.
- Place the pan in the oven, right in the middle. Now begins the roasting process, this is done in three steps. Set a timer for 10 minutes. When the time is up, open the oven and take out the granola. Using a spatula, flip or turn the granola, covering the entire pan. If lumps have formed, gently split them with the spatula.
- Now put the pan in the oven for another 10 minutes, then take out and flip/stir. Do this a third time, repeating the same process.
- When the granola has been roasted for 3 x 10 minutes with a stir/flip in between it's usually done. I judge by the color. If it isn't quite dark brown enough, without being burnt of course, I let it go for another 5 minutes, and then it's done.
- Take out the pan, stir a few times and let it cool off uncovered for an hour. Then pour it all in a jar and keep it in the fridge. It's so tasty!