Eggnog is a true American classic. Egg yolks whisked with sugar and cream and milk, and spiked with bourbon or rum. In this recipe we add smoke flavor to boost it even more. Here’s how.
- 4 egg yolks
- 7 tbsp sugar
- 7 tbsp high fat milk
- 7 tbsp cooking cream
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 tbsp bourbon or rum
- Start up your grill, prepare it for indirect heat, have it running at 130° C / 265° F.
- Put the egg yolks in a bowl and add the sugar a few tablespoons at a time while whisking. Keep whisking until the mix is light and fluffy.
- Pour the cream and milk into a disposable aluminum pan together with the cloves and cinnamon. Place the pan on the grill on the cooler side and add a few wood chunks to the glowing embers for smoke flavor. Now put the lid back on.
- Leave the pan for 10 minutes, then open the grill and whisk a few times to blend things together, and smoke for another 10 minutes. You want the milk/cream mix to get warm, but it must not boil.
Mix milk/cream and eggs
- Now it's time to mix the contents of the bowl and pan. It's important to go slow here to avoid lumps.
- Carefully pour 1/3 cup of the milk/cream mix at at time into the egg mix while constantly whisking. It's important to not add all of the milk/cream mix too fast, since the eggs are cold and the milk is warm. Keep going until everything's in one bowl.
- Now put the mix back into the grill/smoker for another 15 minutes. Stir a few times during that time.
- Remove the bowl or pan with the egg nog and run it through a strainer to get rid of the cloves, cinnamon and any lumps.
- Leave the eggnog to cool a bit before spiking it with bourbon or rum. Serve in small glasses or mugs.