Butternut squash is really good for making soup, and it gets a real nice orange color.
Servings 4 people
Cook Time 45 minutes
- 1 butternut pumpkin (2.4-2.9 lbs)
- 5 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 onion
- 1-1.5 oz butter (for frying)
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp corn starch (thickener)
- 0.5 lemon (juice)
- 0.4 cups almonds
- 0.5 tbsp oil
- Peel, gut and dice the butternut. Peel and chop the onion, and fry it in
a frying pan with some butter until properly browned. Add the water and
the bouillon cube to a large pan and bring it to a boil. Add the wine,
onion and butternut and let it boil gently for 20-30 minutes. Check the
butternut to make sure it has softened. Now add salt, sugar, black
pepper and the lemon juice. Mix the soup until smooth using a blender.
This is a lot of soup, so blend it in batches.
- In the meantime; heat up a frying pan and roast the almonds until they
start to brown. Add 1/2 tablespoon of oil and some salt, and brown for
another minute. Now transfer to a cutting board and let it cool off.
- Pour the soup back into the pan and add corn starch. Bring it to a boil while stirring. Remove from the stove.
- Chop the almonds with a knife and serve the soup in bowls with almonds sprinkled over.