Grilled nectarines or peaches makes for a great dessert. Here we apply a glaze consisting of Cointreau (orange liqueur) and a little honey, and serve it with ice cream and roasted hazelnuts.
- 6 nectarines
- 2 oranges
- 0.4 cups hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp Cointreau
- Cut the nectarines in half. Whisk the glaze together in a small bowl. The honey is optional, this works perfectly well with just the liqeur.
- Fire up your grill, get it ready for high heat direct grilling, but with the lid on. Have it running at 150° C / 300° F.
- Place the nectarine halves on the grill, flat side up. Apply the glaze on all nectarine halves as soon as they are placed on the grill. I pour it into the hole where the pit used to be. Smoke them for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, roast the hazelnuts in a dry frying pan. Let them cool off.
- Cut out filets of the orange cloves, and serve it all in a bowl. Start with the ice cream, then nectarine halves and orange clove filets, and finally the hazelnuts.
- If you want to, make a double batch of the glaze and drizzle it on top right before serving. Also, if you don’t have (or don’t like) Cointreau, I would suggest Amaretto, which is an almond liqueur.