Here’s a real Southern classic, and it’s a fun way of using sweet potatoes in a dessert for a change. I recommend serving this with whipped cream with a tsp of sugar in it.
- 1.5 lb sweet potatoes (1 large or 2 small)
- 2 eggs
- 7 tbsp heavy cream
- 1.8 oz butter
- 1.8 oz brown sugar
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp ground nutmeg (dried)
- 0.5 tsp ground ginger (dried)
- 1.3 cups wheat flour
- 4.4 oz butter
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Bring the butter out to room temp an hour before cooking.
- Turn the oven on and set it to 175° C / 350° F.
- Peel and roughly cube (1.5-2") the sweet potatoes and boil in water in a pan until soft. This usually takes 15 minutes. Get rid of the water and rinse with cold water.
- Mix the pie crust ingredients in a bowl or food processor and work lightly until ingredients are well blended.
- Fill the pie plate with an evenly thick layer of the pie crust.
- Pre-bake the crust in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Mix the ingredients for the filling in a bowl and blend or whisk until smooth.
- Fill the pie crust with the filling and bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Serve the pie with some whipped cream with some sugar in it.
2 thoughts on “Sweet Potato Pie”
My dear, deceased sister – who loved everything “ sweet potato “ – would strongly approve of this recipe! That ingredient list is ( appropriately ) over-the-top.
Although not a connoisseur of them on her level, I am tempted to make this for a family get together. Thanks for another great recipe, Hank!
Now that is a worthy approval! Thanks David.