Here’s a mouth watering veal topside, cooked on the grill. It is rather lean, and doesn’t take well to very long cooks, so we treat it like we would a roast beef. Slowly bring it up to temp, then rest, slice and serve. This one is rubbed with a green and red pepper mix.
- 3 lbs veal topside, boneless
- 1 tbsp red pepper corns
- 1 tbsp green pepper corns
- 0.5 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- Pour the red and green peppers in a mortar and crush them to a powder. Add salt and onion powder and stir well.
- Brush a thin layer of mustard on all sides of the roast and spread the rub evenly on all sides. Place the roast in a plastic bag, remove all air and store it in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Fill your grill with charcoal/briquettes and fire it up. We will use indirect heat when cooking, so tune in your grill to 110° C / 225° F. If you’re using a kettle, make sure you have a water pan in there also. Place the roast on the grill when it is properly warmed up. Place a temperature probe in the middle of the roast.